Monday, June 18, 2007

Claypot Rice @ Alexandra Food Centre

My hub wanted to have dinner at Ikea, but changed his mind when we got down the cab at the Entrance of Ikea. He suggested having Claypot Laksa at Alexandra, which he claimed was very popular and good.

However, when we went there, the stall was closed for the day. It's already 8 plus when we reached there, so I wasn't surprised. The hawker was still very crowded as many other stores were still opened. We saw many taking Hokkien Prawn Mee, so we presumed it is good. I didn't really want to settle for that, even though it's my favourite, as it is too common.

We both agreed to have claypot rice. Still a claypot dish that we came here for. ;)

Type
Chinese

Taste

Claypot Rice (9/10)


Boy, aren't we glad that opted for that! It was thumbs up and feet up for this claypot dish. The rice were well covered with savoury sauce, the chicken was tender and most importantly, boneless! I mean, what could be better than spending more time enjoying the meal than to separate the bone from the meat or spitting it out if you had accidentally taken it with the meat? Some part of the rice was burnt, which I heard is the favourite part for some people. Not for me, but it's not that important, because I enjoy it all the same. I am certainly coming back for this!

Chye Sim Soup (9/10)


The man asked if we wanted soup or vegetables to go along. I thought a Chye Sim Soup would make the meal more balanced somehow, as the claypot rice might seem too dry and 'heaty'. It was a good addition for the soup was really very tasty. The only grouse is that it is too small a size and we glurped down the soup right to the last few drops within minutes. :P

Whatever! (9/10)

I usually don't do review on beverages. But this beverage is kinda cool. You never know what you are going to get, except for the fact that you can get to choose whether it is a carbonated or non-carbonated drink. And this name couldn't be any more apt. Just refer to the advertisements on TV/Radio and you would know what I mean.

'Whatever' is the non-carbonated drink, which may contain either Ice Lemon Tea, Peach Tea, Jasmine Green Tea, White Grape Tea, Apple Tea and Chrysanthemum Tea.

'Anything' is the carbonated drink, which may contain either cola, cola with lemon, Apple, Fizz up, Cloudy Lemon or Root Beer.

I don't know if this is just another fad, but I am pretty sure the founders of this company and busy counting notes and coins this very moment. Not physically counting of course, but you know wat I mean! ;)

I ordered 'Whatever'. My hub wasn't too impressed, but I was. It's not too sweet and has got the fragrance of the tea. The thing is, I am not too sure what I have gotten. I know it is certainly not Apple Tea and White Grape, but was it Ice Lemon Tea, Peach Tea, Jasmine Tea or Chrysanthemum that I drank? I couldn't really tell. :P


Maybe they should improve by indicating the name of the drink at the bottom of the can or something? I know it's supposed to be 'Whatever' (with that heck-care-what's-inside attitude), but I am sure there will still be some curious cats like me out there? And oh ya, they should also improve on the supply chain and logistics aspect. I couldn't find it in most places, not even NTUC.

Other than that, Kudos to the founders of this drink!

Ambience
Normal Hawker Centre environment, but it was well ventilated and windy.

Service

üüüüü
Normal

Price
$$$$$
Definitely value for money. $5 for shared clapot rice for 2, $3 for soup.

Place
Alexandra Village Hawker Centre
Claypot - #01-31


It was one of the best meals I ever had. It was so satisfying that my spirits went uphill after my first few mouths of rice and soup and it was kept high throughout the night. I am definitely coming back for more. Wait for me, Alexandra! ;)

No comments: